64 Prospect NEBuilt in: 1890
Style: Italian Revival
Studley House - Walking TourComments:
This house was built in 1890 for Elbridge Studley, organizer of the Grand Rapids Felt Boot Shoe Co. This palatial tile roofed, stucco Italian Revival home would be equally comfortable in a setting overlooking the Mediterranean. It was built in 1890 by Mr. Elbridge G. Studley. MR. Studley, a native New Yorker, came to Grand Rapids in 1875 to establish a store for the E.B. Preston Company. He subsequently purchased the company, admitted W.Y. Barclay to partnership and changed the name of the company to Studley & Barclay. Mr. Studley was very active in the Grand Rapids business community serving as a director of the Old National Bank, the Valley City Milling Company and the Worden Lumber Company. Note the influence from one of the great Italian architects, Palladio, in the used of rows of arched windows with fanlights, heavy sculpture over the entryway, the interesting balcony and the broad sweep of the terrace. Further interest is added by the used of ornate wrought iron.Past Owners:
Studley, Elbridge - Original OwnerImages and Documents
To download an image or document, right click on it and choose Save As. To print the architectural cards without having to download the file, right click on the thumbnail and open it in a new browser window. Right click and choose print.