247 Morris SEBuilt in: 1893
Thum House - 1979 TourComments:
Home Tour write-up: This Craftsman style house was begun circa 1893 by Minnie Johnson, who purchased the land in 1889 from the daughter of Robert W. Morris, for whom the street is named. In 1898, Otto Thum purchased the uncompleted house from Miss Jones and finished the interior. Included in the sale price were such things as the window shades. Mr. Thum was one of the founders of the O&W Thum Company, better known as the Tanglefoot Company, makes of the "sticky fly paper". This house is one of the finest in Heritage Hill to be converted into apartments. In 1942 it was changed from a single family dwelling into two townhouse apartments. Today you will tour the apartment on the north side of house, which is the residence of Mr. And Mrs. W.S. Warnock. The Warnocks first rented their apartment in 1945 and purchased the house in 1947. The façade of this house is dominated by a massive gamboled gable which is highlighted by a sunburst design over the third story window. The legendary dragon has been incorporated as a part of the design of the large bracket which supports the porch roof. The Venetian columns on the porch have graceful reciprocal spirals which are a mark of excellence in craftsmanship. The granite stonework around the porch and foundations was often used to accent this style and imparts a sense of solidarity.Past Owners:
Jones, Minnie - Original OwnerImages and Documents
To download an image or document, right click on it and choose Save As. To print the architectural cards without having to download the file, right click on the thumbnail and open it in a new browser window. Right click and choose print.