309 Madison SEBuilt in: 1920
Style: English Country
McDonald House - 1990 Tour, 2002 TourComments:
Built circa 1920, this home is believed to be the second house to stand on the lot (the first having been built in 1884 by Charles H. Johnson). The original owner, Mr. John S. McDonald, had a long and distinguished career in public service. He served Kent County as Prosecutor and as Circuit Court Judge. Later Mr. McDonald was a State Supreme Court Justice, serving as Chief Justice. His half-timbered, stucco house would be equally at home in an English country setting. The many rows of mullioned windows wit transom indicate that the interior was planned for a sun-brightened, airy atmosphere. The timbering in the roof gable is accented by the addition of gracefully crafted brackets which are not only decorative, but add structural support to the eaves. Note the geometric pillars on the front porch and the delicately turned columnettes recessed in niches on both the sun-porch and the second floor dormer. (replaced previous house built 1884 by Chas H. Johnson)Past Owners:
McDonald, John S. - Original OwnerImages and Documents
Rydolak, Clara B.
Curry, Nellie A.
Loftus, C. Florence
Veld Huis, Arthur
To download an image or document, right click on it and choose Save As. To print the architectural cards without having to download the file, right click on the thumbnail and open it in a new browser window. Right click and choose print.