238 Madison SE

Built in: 1904
Style: Classic Revival
Description:
2003 Tour
Comments:
Home Tour write-up 2003: This Classic Revival was built in 1904. Charles A. Lindner had this house built while he was secretary, treasurer and manager of Lindner Interior Manufacturing Company which he founded. This company dealt with office furniture. A later resident of this house, William E. Gill lived here with his wife, Ulrice, until his death in 1942. Mr. Gill was one of the organizers of Plumb and Lewis Manufacturing Company. This company manufactured bench clothes wringers and carpet sweepers and was bought in 1886 by the Bissell Carpet Sweeper Company where Mr. Gill was in charge of the order and shipping departments until his retirement. The house was converted to two apartments in 1946 and then to four units in 1948. The current owner purchased the home in 1985 from a couple who had spent 7 years converting the home back to a single family residence.
Past Owners:
Lindner, Charles - Original Owner
Sec/Treasurer and manager of Lindner Interior Manufacturing Company
Gill, William E. and Ulrice (1914-1942)
Mr. Gill sold his company to Bissell Carpet Sweeper
Images and Documents
To download an image or document, right click on it and choose Save As. To print the architectural cards without having to download the file, right click on the thumbnail and open it in a new browser window. Right click and choose print.