121 Madison SEBuilt in: 1885
Style: Victorian Chateauesque
Built in 1885 by William M. Robinson, Sr., a prominent local attorney, this home is a notable example of Victorian Chateauesque architecture. This stately mansion is immediately identifiable by its intricately angulated roofline. The two-story bay window is one of the outstanding features of this home. Note the delicate tracery which ornaments the dormer. The south gable of the home belies its English origins for many such brooding chateaus dotted the forbidding coast of Cornwall. In 1921 John Bodbyl purchased the home from Mr. Robinson's heirs and began converting it into apartments. Mr. W. S. Austin, Sr. purchased the home in 1925 and completed the transformation of the mansion into and apartment house. Mr. Austin is known locally as the owner of the Austin Automobile Company, located at 114-118 South Division Avenue. He produced the first Austin automobile in 1901, incorporating his own inventions, a two-speed rear axle and double cantilevered rear springs.Past Owners:
William M. RobinsonImages and Documents
To download an image or document, right click on it and choose Save As. To print the architectural cards without having to download the file, right click on the thumbnail and open it in a new browser window. Right click and choose print.