102 Union SEBuilt in: 1876
Style: Classic Revival/Craftsman
Lewis House - 1970 Tour, 1974 Tour, 1986 Tour, Walking TourComments:
1986 Home Tour write-up: Shortly after coming to Grand Rapids and joining Constantive Morton in the lumber business, Jeremiah L. Lewis built this home in 1876. Mrs. Lucy E. Lewis, daughter of Rev. Thomas Watson, lived 50 years in the house, dying in 1926. At one time, a similar house stood across Kellogg Street, built for Mr. Lewis' sisters. It is said that the Lewis family lived in the house next door to the south while this home was under construction. When "102" was completed the house next door was rented to a prominent family who were friends of the Lewis', the Kimballs who lived there for 50 years. Much of the interior woodwork and a large stained glass window in the stairwell are in original condition. Exterior decorative features of this Craftsman house give it some classical flavor, with restrained corner pilasters, broken returns on the gable ends, and details on the porch gable and above the bay on the north side. The broken pediment and finial above the bay is repeated in china cabinets in the impressive mahogany paneled dining room.Past Owners:
Jeremiah Lewis - Original OwnerImages and Documents
To download an image or document, right click on it and choose Save As. To print the architectural cards without having to download the file, right click on the thumbnail and open it in a new browser window. Right click and choose print.