The Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) is established by City Ordinance under a Michigan enabling Statute. That statute lays out structures, procedures, standards and appeal processes to be followed by commissions like ours. The basic standards for review of applications are ones established by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior. The HPC has existed since 1973, when Heritage Hill was designated as the first Historic District. Since then the Ledyard Block, Heartside and Cherry Hill districts have been added, along with a number of single structures and places all around the city (Maps and listings are available from historic preservation staff at 1120 Monroe NW, and the City Planning Department, Room 920 of the City Hall.)
The HPC is composed of seven people appointed by the City Commission, with various backgrounds and expertise, sharing an interest in historic preservation. Most HPC members reside or work in one of the historic districts.
Posted in: FAQ